[olug] sig-infosec: DC Phone Home, Wed April 21 @ 8:00pm

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Apr 19 17:03:13 UTC 2004

Dear lists,

I'm going to try Wednesday night for this week's UNO ACM SIG-INFOSEC:

Date: 	Wednesday, April 21st @ 8:00pm in PKI 279
Con: 	Blackhat 2002
Tape: 	#V08  DC (Dream Cast) Phone Home
	by Aaron Higbee and Chris Davis

more info:
http://blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-02/bh-usa-02-speakers.html#Davis%20Higbee
http://blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-02/higbee-davis/higbeedavis-bh-us-02-phone.ppt

( comments )  Basically about a tool and the mentality from a couple
pen-testers to insert a device physically inside the 'trusted'
environment, and have it call out to the internet "phone home" all the
information it can gather from within.  They call this 180 degree hacking,
and it was perhaps a fairly novel kind of thing back in 2002 - especially
making use of black boxes not typically considered "computers" like game
consoles.  Fairly entertaining presentation and worth a look.

( background )
The Information Security Special Interest Group (SIG-INFOSEC) of the
University of Nebraska at Omaha student chapter of the Association for
Computing Machinery (UNO ACM) would like to invite you to our next video
presentation of a talk given at past Defcon and Blackhat conferences.

UNO ACM SIG-INFOSEC tries to meet once a week to screen one of these
tapes and have an open discussion on the topic.  Meetings are open to the
general public and are usually held in PKI* Room 279 on Monday or
Wednesday
nights for this Spring 2004 semester.

* Peter Kiewit Institute is located at 67th and Pacific Streets.

Brian
Chair, SIG-INFOSEC
UNO ACM

--
Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x46D4332E    keyserver: pgp.mit.org