[olug] Problems w/Quake 3

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 04:17:53 UTC 2004

Great!  That worked.  The user ID/password you gave didn't work for me, but I
figured out that I needed this: linuxq3apoint-1.32b.x86.run

However, sound (still) doesn't work.  I get this on start up:
------- sound initialization -------
Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ
trying mmap PROT_WRITE (with associated better compatibility / less performance
code)
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
------------------------------------

I did some searching, and found the following 2 lines:
echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo "quake3.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss

This gives me sound, but the moment I start a fight (when 3D acceleration kicks
in?) and the screen draws, the game freezes.
ALSA spits out this at me (on my kernel message terminal):
ALSA pcm_lib.c:61: BUG? (runtime->silence_filled <= runtime->buffer_size)
(called from c942dc86)

This error is showing even before the game freezes, so maybe those 2 echo lines
aren't quite the fix.

For Brandon, I'm happy w/the fps I'm getting.  I have the graphics set at
'Highest Quality' which is full screen, 800x600, etc. and all is smooth and
creamy.

Anyway, any help (again) is sincerely appreciated.  Thanks, Jay!
Eric