[olug] Problems w/Quake 3

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 04:09:01 UTC 2004

Hi ho,

I picked up Quake 3 from Jay's place a few months back... still haven't got it
working.  Any help would be great!

I'm running SuSE 9.0 w/nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (32 mb)

Quake 3 originally was looking for libglide2x.so (see output below).  My SuSE
system has the following:
/usr/lib/libglide3-v3.so
/usr/lib/libglide3-v5.so
which are a part of the XFree86-Mesa-4.3.0 package. I found an older package
(glide_v2-2) for SuSE 8.1 which had libglide2x.so.  I installed it and it
works, but the framerate is around 2 fps (not playable).

Should I even be using this library since I don't have a VooDoo board?  I have
the latest Nvidia drivers installed w/3D acceleration enabled, and other 3D
games give me good fps w/o libglide2x.so.   Also, Quake 3 worked fine for me on
SuSE < 8.2.  So I'm stumped.

FYI, libMesaVoodooGL.so.3.2 and libGL.so (symlink to former) were installed in
the Quake3 directory.

Anyhoot, any ideas would be most appreciated!
Eric

Ps.  Here is my output before installing libglide2x.so (glide_v2-2.53-138.rpm).

----- R_Init -----
current dir: libglide2x.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
failed
/etc/ld.so.conf or current dir: libglide2x.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
failed
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
----- CL_Shutdown -----
Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem