[olug] Call for Wireless Card Demo under Linux

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Tue Apr 13 17:49:15 UTC 2004

<quote who="CM Miller">
> Would anyone be willing to talk about what it takes to
> get a wireless card to work under Linux at a future
> OLUG meeting?
>
> NOT demonstrating inserting into pcmcia slot and it
> works.
>
> But demonstrating about messing with modules,
> chipsets, 2.6 kernel, and 3rd party packages to get a
> wireless cards to work.
>
> There are a number of folks on the list who are have
> had no luck and not getting anywhere fast with their
> wireless cards under Linux.
>
> Anyone up to the challenge?

I would like to second this request - my brand new Netgear WG511 802.11g
card is not recognized at all in Linux; and it crashes Netstumbler in
WinDoz (even though it is an advertised card on the Netstumbler site).

AK!!!! Frustrating.

This would be a perfect presentation for the July meeting, since it would
be the first meeting after the Install fest and we have been trying to
have more basic, beginner presentations the meeting after the install
fest.

Help! Anyone willing to present at the July meeting?

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson