[olug] What to do with old cable modems

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Tue Apr 6 17:13:47 UTC 2004

Charles Bird wrote:
> I've heard about "shotgun DSL" I wonder if there is a way to do that
>  with cable? I know that not to many people know about shotgun DSL
> and I really havnt figured it out yet either but basicly you can get
> two lines two dsl routers and one IP

Multilink PPP.  AFAIK for that you need your ISP to cooperate.

> however I've heard that it really works out the DNS. So if one were
> to get the 1.5Mb/896Kb line X 2 that would be faster than a T-1 in
> theory  and for less than half the price too!

And with an even less reliable link to the CO! (At least in my
experience DSL can't compare to a T1 from a reliablity POV)

> But with cable the upload would only be up to 512k and download would
> be around 6Mb...I dont think its worth trying until cox gives us
> 512kb up per line.

It is my understanding that Cox's head-end equipment can only support a
small # of subscribers per node with a 512 kbit upstream.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us