[olug] Senmail relaying

tmelcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Sat Apr 3 05:23:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:57:01 -0800 (PST), Terry wrote
> [...]
> > really exist. It only
> > exists in email addresses for clients that use the
> > Domino server. There
> > are no hosts on that secondary domain. For some
> > reason the admin of the
> > Domino server wanted to give his users email
> > addresses that ended in a
> > different domain name than our main domain. That
> > didn't seem very
> > logical to me, but well, I didn't have any voice in
> > the matter. The
> > Exchange server seems to recognize that any email it
> > sees on heading for
> > the secondary domain should be passed on to Domino
> > for processing.
> >
> > >  so you can assign an
> > > MX to it if your mail server uses the
> > authoritative
> > > nameserver for that domain to resolve DNS queries.
> >
> > I've only got DNS for the actual domain (since the
> > secondary domain
> > doesn't really exist) but I added an MX entry in
> > that db.domain.com file
> > so those MX records look like so:
> > mx 10 mail.domain.com.
> > otherdomain.com mx 10 domino.domain.com.
> >
> > Is this okay, or is it completely wrong?
> >

> > > What about:
> > > .somedomain.com	relay:mail.someotherdomain.com
> >
> > Nope. Still didn't work for me.
> >
> > > Also, this may seem obvious but:
> >
> > I'm rather confused at this point, so nothing is
> > obvious to me :-)
> >
> > > 1) you should not have an entry in the local
> > domains
> > > list for any routed domains.
> >
> > Local domains list? Where is that at?
> > /etc/mail/domaintable is empty,
> > and /etc/mail/local-host-names just has aliases for
> > the localhost.
> >
> > > 2) you should have a dns mx record pointing to
> > your
> > > system for any domains that it is a gateway for.
> >
> > Does the MX record I stated above count?
> >
> > > 3) you should also have an entry in the relay
> > domains
> > > list for each domain as well.
> >
> > My relay-domains file looks like:
> > .otherdomain.com RELAY
> >
> > I'm starting to get the feeling maybe this isn't a
> > Sendmail config
> > issue? Is it really sane to expect to relay mail to
> > a domain that
> > doesn't exist like this?
>
> Well....their is an option in mailertable to NOT rely
> on MX to deliver the messages as I showed in my first
> email.
> .somedomain.com	relay:[mail.someotherdomain.com]
> (the brackets tell sendmail to not use MX lookups)
>
> Also, haha, forgot to tell you but are you running the
> following after you edit the file:
> makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable <
> /etc/mail/mailertable
> ??
> This will create the hash db that stores all this
> stuff for sendmail...
>
> So, now that we are all confused....do the following:
> 1) put the following in /etc/mail/mailertable:
> .somedomain.com	smtp:[mail.someotherdomain.com]
After looking at your MX record above the mailertable thing should work,
however I think its backwards.  In the end your wanting to send an email to
user at someotherdomain.com, these users reside on domino.maindomain.com,
correct?  If so your mailertable entry should be

someotherdomain.com      smtp:[domino.maindomain.com]

This should match any incoming email of user at someotherdomain.com and relay it
to domino.maindomain.com

Dont foget to run  "makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable <
/etc/mail/mailertable" (without the quotes)

afterwards and restart sendmail

If you need help...Look at the README in the sendmail-cf directory under
section "USING MAILERTABLES"