[olug] Senmail relaying

Terry td3201 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 23:57:01 UTC 2004

--- Ryan O'Rourke <ryano at ch-gifts.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 16:09, Terry wrote:
> > --- Ryan O'Rourke <ryano at ch-gifts.com> wrote:
> smtp:[mail.someotherdomain.com] #
> > > This
> #
> > > This
> > >
> > > Thanks for the suggestion, Terry. Unfortunately
> this
> > > didn't work for me.
>
> > Sorry, sent out an email prior to your
> response...but,
> > I guess I don't see how mailertable wouldn't work
> in
> > your situation...you are simply routing a domain
> > another host...which is exacly what mailertable
> does.
> > The only thing that seems questionable about my
> > solution is that it is an internal domain and its
> > non-routable...however, you are still probably
> using
> > DNS for this 'internal' domain,
>
> Not really. You see, that internal domain doesn't
> really exist. It only
> exists in email addresses for clients that use the
> Domino server. There
> are no hosts on that secondary domain. For some
> reason the admin of the
> Domino server wanted to give his users email
> addresses that ended in a
> different domain name than our main domain. That
> didn't seem very
> logical to me, but well, I didn't have any voice in
> the matter. The
> Exchange server seems to recognize that any email it
> sees on heading for
> the secondary domain should be passed on to Domino
> for processing.
>
> >  so you can assign an
> > MX to it if your mail server uses the
> authoritative
> > nameserver for that domain to resolve DNS queries.
>
> I've only got DNS for the actual domain (since the
> secondary domain
> doesn't really exist) but I added an MX entry in
> that db.domain.com file
> so those MX records look like so:
> mx 10 mail.domain.com.
> otherdomain.com mx 10 domino.domain.com.
>
> Is this okay, or is it completely wrong?
>

> > What about:
> > .somedomain.com	relay:mail.someotherdomain.com
>
> Nope. Still didn't work for me.
>
> > Also, this may seem obvious but:
>
> I'm rather confused at this point, so nothing is
> obvious to me :-)
>
> > 1) you should not have an entry in the local
> domains
> > list for any routed domains.
>
> Local domains list? Where is that at?
> /etc/mail/domaintable is empty,
> and /etc/mail/local-host-names just has aliases for
> the localhost.
>
> > 2) you should have a dns mx record pointing to
> your
> > system for any domains that it is a gateway for.
>
> Does the MX record I stated above count?
>
> > 3) you should also have an entry in the relay
> domains
> > list for each domain as well.
>
> My relay-domains file looks like:
> [...]

Well....their is an option in mailertable to NOT rely
on MX to deliver the messages as I showed in my first
email.
.somedomain.com	relay:[mail.someotherdomain.com]
(the brackets tell sendmail to not use MX lookups)

Also, haha, forgot to tell you but are you running the
following after you edit the file:
makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable <
/etc/mail/mailertable
??
This will create the hash db that stores all this
stuff for sendmail...

So, now that we are all confused....do the following:
1) put the following in /etc/mail/mailertable:
.somedomain.com	smtp:[mail.someotherdomain.com]
2) makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable <
/etc/mail/mailertable
3) restart sendmail
4) Make sure you do NOT have the domain listed in the
Cw config file.  (For me that is
/etc/mail/local-host-names)
5) Make sure you DO have the domain listed in the
relay domains file (For me that is
/etc/mail/relay-domains)
6) Restart sendamil
7) Sendmail an email to recipient at someotherdomain.com