[olug] Senmail relaying

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Fri Apr 2 23:02:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 16:09, Terry wrote:
> --- Ryan O'Rourke <ryano at ch-gifts.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 13:56, Terry wrote:
> > > /etc/mail/mailertable:
> > > .somedomain.com smtp:[mail.someotherdomain.com] #
> > This
> > > one ignores MX lookups (as it should probably)
> > > .somedomain.com smtp:mail.someotherdomain.com #
> > This
> > > one uses MX lookups
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion, Terry. Unfortunately this
> > didn't work for me.

> Sorry, sent out an email prior to your response...but,
> I guess I don't see how mailertable wouldn't work in
> your situation...you are simply routing a domain to
> another host...which is exacly what mailertable does.
> The only thing that seems questionable about my
> solution is that it is an internal domain and its
> non-routable...however, you are still probably using
> DNS for this 'internal' domain,

Not really. You see, that internal domain doesn't really exist. It only
exists in email addresses for clients that use the Domino server. There
are no hosts on that secondary domain. For some reason the admin of the
Domino server wanted to give his users email addresses that ended in a
different domain name than our main domain. That didn't seem very
logical to me, but well, I didn't have any voice in the matter. The
Exchange server seems to recognize that any email it sees on heading for
the secondary domain should be passed on to Domino for processing.

>  so you can assign an
> MX to it if your mail server uses the authoritative
> nameserver for that domain to resolve DNS queries.

I've only got DNS for the actual domain (since the secondary domain
doesn't really exist) but I added an MX entry in that db.domain.com file
so those MX records look like so:
mx 10 mail.domain.com.
otherdomain.com mx 10 domino.domain.com.

Is this okay, or is it completely wrong?

> What about:
> .somedomain.com	relay:mail.someotherdomain.com

Nope. Still didn't work for me.

> Also, this may seem obvious but:

I'm rather confused at this point, so nothing is obvious to me :-)

> 1) you should not have an entry in the local domains
> list for any routed domains.

Local domains list? Where is that at? /etc/mail/domaintable is empty,
and /etc/mail/local-host-names just has aliases for the localhost.

> 2) you should have a dns mx record pointing to your
> system for any domains that it is a gateway for.

Does the MX record I stated above count?

> 3) you should also have an entry in the relay domains
> list for each domain as well.

My relay-domains file looks like:
.otherdomain.com RELAY

I'm starting to get the feeling maybe this isn't a Sendmail config
issue? Is it really sane to expect to relay mail to a domain that
doesn't exist like this?

Again, thanks for the help.

-- Ryan