[olug] newb question/distro recommendation

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Thu Apr 1 00:18:53 UTC 2004

<quote who="Jay Swackhamer">
> Hello,
>
> If you need to scrub the drives completely, you could use one of the tools
> on the Ultimate boot cd - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/. Recommended for
> any machines with sensitive data.
>
> If you just need a general removal of data, a reformat/install would be
> clean enough for 90% of the people that might come in contact with the
> machines.

A free, floopy based too I use at work & home is DBAN - Darik's Boot and
Nuke. Linux based, works great for anything I have used it with; though
for some of the more evasive overwrites it will take many hours (which is
a good thing). OLUG has given away copies of DBAN as door prizes for
Install fests.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

I tell everyone to check out the DBAN FAQ, it has some superb explanations
and thoughts regarding wiping media.

Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson
Omaha Linux User's Group (OLUG)
A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?
An often repeated quote on news.admin.net-abuse.email:
<I>
"Spam is not about content, it is about consent".
</i>