[olug] linux ppc and VPN

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Tue Sep 30 02:19:54 UTC 2003

> Has anybody had any luck using CIPE or freeswan as a VPN client to CISCO
> Pix? I am using yellowdog 3.0 on a PowerBook G4.

CIPE won't work, period.  It's a Linux specific VPN technology that goes
over UDP/IP.  The Cisco is expecting IPsec.

That said, FreeSWAN SHOULD work as long as you're doing Main Mode IPsec.
Ordinarily I'd say you should use Cisco's VPN client if you want to do a
road warrior-type configuration... but you're using Linux on a Mac so
that's not an option.

I say FreeSWAN SHOULD work because I've never really used it.  I've had
some success with the kernel 2.6 native IPsec talking to Cisco IOS and
PIX, as well as a few other operating systems.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us