[olug] Server

Nathan D. Rotschafer olug at geniussystems.net
Mon Sep 29 21:30:05 UTC 2003

I tend to be a debian person on the server side; however, when I had to
reinstall my linux server this summer I chose a Gentoo 1.4 Stage 3 install.
1.4 has a very very very good hardware autodetection scheme built-in (one of
the biggest headaches with debian) and with the new hotplug and genkernel
(automatically builds a kernel based upon the one on the boot CD) it continues
hardware auto detection after the install is done.  The actual install of
Gentoo is very well documented and as of 1.4 very easy if you start from stage
3.  The "downside" if you think it is one is that you have to compile all the
programs so on a slow machine this can be painful but on a reasonable machine
(PIII 700+) it is fine and this is only after the install (if from a stage 3
the only real things you compile are kernel, grub [or lilo], a syslog daemon [I
recommend syslog-ng for a server or metalog], and a cron daemon [I recommend
vcron]).  If you are interested in this route I would be happy to help or
answer questions on or off list or do a simple demo/presentation on setting up
a gentoo system for a server if there is interest.

Thanks,
Nate