[olug] Server

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Sep 29 20:37:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:05:31 -0500
"Craig Wolf" <CJWolf at mpsomaha.org> wrote:

|Would anyone recommend Knoppix vs. Red Hat on a server?  Maybe the
|question would be what Linux OS would work best on a new server for
|someone with a comfort level of 4 out of 10??

uh... knoppix installs nearly 2 gigs of "desktop" apps by default, so I
wouldn't much consider it a 'server' operating system.  For a server, less
is more (security, resources, maintainence).  Any distro you can get up
and running, and maintain efficiently (with the minimum "excess junk"
installed) the better.  Debian, Gentoo, Slack, etc.. whatever, or even
just start a min install of RH and add on what you need for the server.

as for 'live on cd' gnu/linux distros... there are  couple that would be
good for a server.. (OS lives on the CD/write protected floppy, no write
permissions, very difficult to hack)  They're out there.. I forget them by
name though.

peace

 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru