[olug] mysql how do I get it to start

Francis Geiger hmcsret at cox.net
Sun Sep 28 15:54:09 UTC 2003

Jay
Thanks for your reply.  I tried the entry you recommended.  I got the
following:   /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start
touch: creating `/var/log/mysqld.log': Permission denied
chmod: changing permissions of `/var/log/mysqld.log': Operation not
permitted
Initializing MySQL database:  mkdir: Preparing db table
Preparing host table
cannot create directory `/var/lib/mysql/mysql': Permission denied
chmod: failed to get attributes of `/var/lib/mysql/mysql': No such file
or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/lib/mysql/test': Permission denied
chmod: failed to get attributes of `/var/lib/mysql/test': No such file
or directory
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables
ERROR: 1049  Unknown database 'mysql'
Installation of grant tables failed!

Examine the logs in /var/lib/mysql for more information.
You can also try to start the mysqld daemon with:
/usr/libexec/mysqld --skip-grant &
You can use the command line tool
/usr/bin/mysql to connect to the mysql
database and look at the grant tables:

shell> /usr/bin/mysql -u root mysql
mysql> show tables

Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths. Using --log
gives you a log in /var/lib/mysql that may be helpful.

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Please consult the MySQL manual section: 'Problems running
mysql_install_db',
and the manual section that describes problems on your OS.
Another information source is the MySQL email archive.
Please check all of the above before mailing us!
And if you do mail us, you MUST use the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!
030928 21:46:59  Aborting

030928 21:46:59  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

                                                           [FAILED]
	Should I have been in the root directory? Grant