[olug] mysql how do I get it to start

Francis Geiger hmcsret at cox.net
Sun Sep 28 15:20:10 UTC 2003

I am using Red Hat 9, and I want to start using MySql on my home system
so that I can practice using sql statements.  I have installed MySql
using the red hat package installer.  I picked up the book PHP and MySql
by Larry Ullman to attempt to learn how to use the MySql.
I am trying to start mysql and am getting this error msg: ERROR 2002:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
I tried changing the directory to the var/lib directory but that did not
help.  I am not finding the correct directory? Have I not installed
something?  Thanks in advance for any help.  Grant

--
Francis Geiger <hmcsret at cox.net>