[olug] *BSDs - Free, Open, Net

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Sep 28 05:00:48 UTC 2003

Jeff Hinrichs wrote:

> Thanks for the input Phil!  So then to sum up: If you are running a
> server on commodity hardware then Free or Net is the way to go since
> they appear to stay supported longer than Open.

That's my thinking.

> And if I plan on running newer nics or usb devices then it looks like
> Free moves in to the lead.

For some more unusual NICs, yes.  For USB, NetBSD actually had it before
FreeBSD or Linux ;)  Two specific examples I usually give are:

1) Token Ring.  FreeBSD does it a little, NetBSD says "What's that?"
2) Comtrol RocketPort multi-port serial cards.  Supported under Linux
and FreeBSD for years, but good luck getting a driver for NetBSD.  Or
any other multi-port serial card, for that matter, if it's not a Cyclades.

> What kinds of problems did PHP give you on BSD?

Last time I tried it, none.  To be honest I don't remember why I wrote
what I did why I did (oy, been playing too many computer games today!).
  I was probably thinking something along the lines of "OpenBSD won't
make PHPnuke more secure" ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us