[olug] *BSDs - Free, Open, Net

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Sat Sep 27 18:26:25 UTC 2003

Are there any BSD users that want to comment on the differences between
FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD? Specifically, if you were going to replace a
DNS server and wanted to try BSD which would you choose and why.  I've been
googling away looking for some wisdom but I still don't have a good/clear
view on the differences between them.  It appears as though the primary
difference is the kernel, with the userland software being fairly
consistent.  Is this a correct statement?

What about the following statements:
1) OpenBSD is the most secure
2) FreeBSD is the most stable
3) NetBSD runs on the widest range of hardware

For a starting point, lets consider this a discussion for a uniprocessor
intel/amd box with ide drives. It will sit on the internet naked and will be
acting as a server with no workstation stuff (i.e. no X, etc). Running DNS
or Apache/PHP or smtp/pop services.

thanks,
Jeff