nother problem.. Re: [olug] Config Wireless Card under Knoppix?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sat Sep 27 03:39:33 UTC 2003

What exactly is your problem Chris, trying to bring your network card "up"
or "down" (I take it thats what you mean by mount/umount?)  To do this,
you just treat it as any other network interface...

ifconfig eth1 { down | up }

The config's the same in "/etc/network/interfaces" as regular debian.

As for eth0 vs. eth1, on my dell inspiron laptop with knoppix 3.2 on it as
well, I've had my wireless card detected as eth0 sometimes (now) and eth1
at other times.

-- now my problem --
I'm actually having a different problem now on my knoppix laptop, after my
last update/upgrade it seems, my builtin cable NIC (eth1) is not
working... module (3c59x) is loaded, and I can bring the interface up and
down, get a link light, but cannot transfer packets (even with statically
assigned IP, netmask, route) or get an IP from dhcp.  My wireless card is
also built in, but I'm wondering if this is some pcmcia problem?  I
believe there was some mention of that when I last upgraded, but I have
now the latest pcmcia_cs package.  Is there any need to recompile this
from source?

any ideas apppreciated. thanks.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:10:32 -0700 (PDT)
CM Miller <cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com> wrote:

|Trying to config a Orinoco 11b/g card under Knoppix.
|I get power to it, hence the little green light
|flashes on it, but not getting out to the web with it.
|

|When inserting the card, I get the following screen
|output:
|
|cs cb_alloc(bus 2):  vendor 0x168c, device 0x0013
|PCI:  Enabled device 02:00 (0000 -> 0002)
|
|I don't get a prompt after this, is my card
|successfully mounted?
|
|Is there a right way to mount/umount a wireless card?
|

|I hit enter and then get my prompt.
|
|cardctl ident shows:
|
|socket 0:
|product info:  "Atheros Communications, Inc.",
|"AR500-0000-0000", "Wireless LAN Reference Card", "))"

|manfid: 0x271, 0x0012
|function: 6 (network)
|
|cardctl status shows:
|
|Socket 0:
|3.3v CardBus card
|function 0: [ready]
|
|Here are my modules in my kernel, that I think pertain
|to wireless
|
|orinoco_cs
|orinoco
|hermes
|ds
|yenta_socket
|pcmcia_core
|

|BUT, if I type
|
|iwconfig
|
|lo    no wireless extensions
|
|eth0  no wireless extensions
|
|Now, I have a built in nic on this laptop, shouldn't
|my wireless card show up at eth1?  eth0 is for the
|ethernat/lan nic, right?
|

|Also, I've knocked out pump somehow.  When I run
|
|pump -i eth0
|
|I don't get an ip address anymore from my dhcp server.
|

|Is it not possible to switch from wireless mode to a
|lan/ethernet mode under?  Some places are wireless but
|have a lan, while other places are only wireless.
|
|thanks

|-Chris

|=====
|"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley, CA.:  LSD and
|UNIX.
|
|I don't believe this to be a coincidence"

|-Unknown

|Do you Yahoo!?
|The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search
|http://shopping.yahoo.com
|OLUG mailing list
|OLUG at olug.org

 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru