[olug] RE: Gentoo vs Red Hat (was Red Hat network and update removal)

Terry Bradshaw angrypuppy at tconl.com
Fri Sep 26 02:33:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 10:40, Brandon Lederer wrote:
> There is a HUGE learning curve to Gentoo.  I personally love the distro,  and
> wouldnt go back.  In my opinion RedHat is the exact total opposite, and I do
> not like redhat.  There are distros in the middle like debian.  Ill put Suse,
> redhat and mandrake at one end.  Debian in the middle. and Slackware a little
> left of the middle.  Finally gentoo all the way to the left.
>
> I really dont care for any distros on the right.  The one thing that Gentoo
> DOESNT have that does kind of bother me is there are no rc.0 - rc.6
> directories.  im not even too sure exactly where all the stuff is stored.

I just started setting up Gentoo this week (from Red Hat 9).

It is tougher, but it's really not bad in my humble opinion.  This
computer is my hobby box, and once I started running apt on Red Hat,
everything worked too easily.  I didn't know what to do next.

It's very time consuming to add functionality since everything is
compiled from source, but the end result is good.  The key for me has
been taking time to read the instructions on the Gentoo site.

Their instructions are very thorough.  I started this...hmmm...Tuesday,
I think, and I have KDE, Gnome and Fluxbox running, and am composing
this from Evolution.  There are still gaping holes in my tool set, but
I'm working on that.  Slowly.

Evolve is really slick.  I'm still not sure if I have the best compile
options set yet, but I figure it can be recompiled later.  I'm mostly
working on getting all my .conf files merged from updates right now.
I'm not real confident on that yet.

Terry