[olug] Config Wireless Card under Knoppix?

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 12:10:32 UTC 2003

Trying to config a Orinoco 11b/g card under Knoppix.
I get power to it, hence the little green light
flashes on it, but not getting out to the web with it.

When inserting the card, I get the following screen
output:

cs cb_alloc(bus 2):  vendor 0x168c, device 0x0013
PCI:  Enabled device 02:00 (0000 -> 0002)

I don't get a prompt after this, is my card
successfully mounted?

Is there a right way to mount/umount a wireless card?

I hit enter and then get my prompt.

cardctl ident shows:

socket 0:
product info:  "Atheros Communications, Inc.",
"AR500-0000-0000", "Wireless LAN Reference Card", "))"

manfid: 0x271, 0x0012
function: 6 (network)

cardctl status shows:

Socket 0:
3.3v CardBus card
function 0: [ready]

Here are my modules in my kernel, that I think pertain
to wireless

orinoco_cs
orinoco
hermes
ds
yenta_socket
pcmcia_core

BUT, if I type

iwconfig

lo    no wireless extensions

eth0  no wireless extensions

Now, I have a built in nic on this laptop, shouldn't
my wireless card show up at eth1?  eth0 is for the
ethernat/lan nic, right?

Also, I've knocked out pump somehow.  When I run

pump -i eth0

I don't get an ip address anymore from my dhcp server.

Is it not possible to switch from wireless mode to a
lan/ethernet mode under?  Some places are wireless but
have a lan, while other places are only wireless.

thanks

-Chris

=====
"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley, CA.:  LSD and UNIX.

I don't believe this to be a coincidence"

-Unknown