[olug] What am I forgetting

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 11:51:55 UTC 2003

>> What am I forgetting to change?
>> I have a program that keys my radio through comm. 1
>>ttyS0.
>> It works fine if I am logged on as root or switched
>>to su but otherwise it
>> won't key xmitter.
>> I have changed ownership and group and set all the
>>rights.  What am I
>> missing?
>> Thanks

>Tom,
>
>Try running 'setserial /dev/ttyS0' as the non-root
>user you want to run
>your application with and see what you get.
>
>Default:
>
>crw-------    1 root     uucp       4,  64 Sep 19
>08:05 /dev/ttyS0
>
>result:
>$ setserial /dev/ttyS0
>/dev/ttyS0: Permission denied
>

>Here is what mine looks like after I changed it
>(command: chown jlarsen /dev/ttyS0):
>
>crw-------    1 jlarsen  uucp       4,  64 Sep 19
>08:05 /dev/ttyS0
>
>$ setserial /dev/ttyS0
>/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>

>This should allow the given username to access the
>serial port.

I'm having the same problem with my Knoppix laptop.

I run

setserial /dev/ttyS0

And it is then ok.

But, if I reboot, then the problem come back.

Is there any permanet way to fix this?

thanks

-Chris

=====
"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley, CA.:  LSD and UNIX.

I don't believe this to be a coincidence"

-Unknown