[olug] Kernel panic

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Sat Sep 20 15:51:15 UTC 2003

You will need to boot of a CD(Redhat - #linux rescue , or Gentoo works)

Then once you have a system up, mount your / filesystem

if you setup the system originally with
/boot , / , swap

then
# mkdir /mnt/tmp
# mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt/tmp
# vi /mnt/tmp/etc/fstab

change the /dev/hdb to /dev/hdc

you can list the filesystems by
# fdisk -l /dev/hdc

you will need to update the links for /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd to point to
the correct devices also.

You will also need to update LILO or GRUB (whichever you use)

GRUB
# vi /etc/grub.conf
       or
# vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
change the line for the kernel that is pointing the root to /dev/hdbXXXX
to /dev/hdcXXX
# shutdown -r now

LILO
# mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/tmp/boot
# chroot /mnt/tmp /bin/bash
# vi /etc/lilo.conf
# lilo
change the line for the kernel that is pointing the root to /dev/hdbXXXX
to /dev/hdcXXX
# shutdown -r now

hda = primary master
hdb = primary slave