[olug] KVM switch help

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Fri Sep 19 18:39:29 UTC 2003

I'm finally going to chime in on this thread. I have a 4 port Belkin
Soho usb/ps2 kvm. I run 1 linux machine with a ps/2 port that doesn't
supply power anymore (the mobo is on it's deathbead, primary ide chan
is toast too..), 1 winXP box (ps2), and my powerbook (usb) through it.
It works great, IF there's at least one machine supplying power to it.
If I turn off my xp machine and unplug the powerbook, I can't use my
linux box because there's no power. There is a mini plug for giving it
DC so there's no need for powering it off usb/ps2, but I have yet to
really need it. One of the nice things about having a swtich is, I've
relocated my two pcs into my office closet. I can hear them running (I
leave the door cracked for a vent) but it really helps cut down on the
high pitched white fan noise. I'm a music nut, so that's pretty
important for me. The whole setup only cost $200 for the switch and
cables.

-- Daniel