[olug] Fw: OLUG.PHPCONSULTING.COM

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Thu Sep 18 21:15:38 UTC 2003

At Thu, 18 Sep 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Roberson, said:
> regarding the mailman option "obscure_address"  --- IT ONLY WORKS ON THE
> MAILMAN GENERATED VIEW - honestly guys, noone takes into acount that when
> you create a public archive - yes mailman obscures the address's....
> BUT...... there is another way to get to that archives - that is to look at
> the public .mbx file in entirety.... WHICH CONTAINS EVERY MESSAGE
> UN-MODIFIED...

Why not make the mbox download unavailable?  All you need to do is make
the file non-readable to the webserver.  I've seen this used by other
projects using Mailman who wish to have public mailing list archives,
but for the same reasons you've mentioned, don't want to allow spammers
to crawl through the un-mangled mail archive.

The Samba project is a good example.  They keep their mailing lists
archived, but if you try to download the samba.mbox raw archive, you'll
get a 403, access forbidden, because that file is restricted.