[olug] CVS: cvsup on FreeBSD

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Mon Sep 15 12:49:11 UTC 2003

  I see there has been some discussion on the list about CVS - a source
code repository system.

  The BSD world keeps the kernel source and much of the OS itself in
/usr/src. If you want to update you load the cvsup utility, either by
using /stand/sysinstall and installing the binary package, or by
changing to /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui and compiling/installing.
There are a collection of example cvsup configuration files placed in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup during the install. You pick the one closest
to what you want, edit it to point to a particular server, then cvsup -g
-L 2 < config file> and you're updating.

  Sounds complex? An upgrade to the current patches in a given version
requires just these commands:

cvsup -g -L 2 <config file>
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make installworld
cd /usr/src/sys/compile/<machine's kernel directory>
make depend
make
make install
shutdown -r now

  Even better - instead of mucking around with RPMfind.net and dealing
with binary incompatibilities you can update *all* of the stuff needed
to install software *OR* make binary packages if you're managing
multiple machines - the /usr/ports hierarchy is managed with the same
tool as the operating system source code.

  There is a good article here http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/4111 about
something called portupgrade - an automagic method for finding installed
ports and updating them. I just discovered it so I'm not yet a wizard
with it, but it seems very promising - the binary package management on
FBSD will be as smooth as the OS upgrade path already is :-)

mailto:neal at lists.rauhauser.net
phone:402-301-9555
"After all that I've been through, you're the only one who matters,
you never left me in the dark here on my own" - Widespread Panic