[olug] Clean Upgrade using RPMS?

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Wed Sep 10 21:31:12 UTC 2003

I've long operated by the rule "Never do an operating system upgrade".
I have *never* seen an O/S upgrade program that did the job right.  They
all work fine if you have an absolutely stock unmodified installation of
the old O/S, but who has that?

Nowadays, if I need a newer O/S on a box I back up the important data
and config and reformat the drives in preparation for a clean install.
This isn't a Linux specific rule either, I've use this technique for
Windows and various *nixes.

Nick Walter