[olug] List Archives ???

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Wed Sep 10 04:18:10 UTC 2003

At Tue, 09 Sep 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Roberson, said:
> The archive is protected by your mailman password....... If you do not
> have that password, there is a link on the mailman log in page to send
> it to you.

Just out of curiosity, why is the mailing list archive password
protected?  Why not leave it open to anyone?

The advantages to having it open are that it can be google-searchable,
and someone else in the world might benefit from a question asked on our
mailing list.  (I have personally found the answer to questions before
by googling and finding a result on a LUG mailing list.)