[olug] I am new can some one explain what went wrong here to me please

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 6 22:17:26 UTC 2003

--- barlow <barlow at cox.net> wrote:
> First off I would like to say hello to the group.I
> am a new member as of
> last night & I am also brand new to Linux.
>  OK so here it goes I am trying to install mp123 and
> I keep getting this
> error 2 msg when I do the "make Linux" command.
>
> [primesource at localhost mpg123-0.59r]$ make linux
> make CC=gcc LDFLAGS= \
>         OBJECTS='decode_i386.o dct64_i386.o
> decode_i586.o \
>                 audio_oss.o term.o' \
>         CFLAGS='-DI386_ASSEM -DPENTIUM_OPT
> -DREAL_IS_FLOAT -DLINUX \
>                 -DREAD_MMAP -DOSS -DTERM_CONTROL\
>                 -Wall -O2 -m486 \
>                 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -funroll-all-loops \
>                 -finline-functions -ffast-math' \
>         mpg123-make
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/primesource/mpg123-0.59r'
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/primesource/mpg123-0.59r'
> gcc -DI386_ASSEM -DPENTIUM_OPT -DREAL_IS_FLOAT
> -DLINUX
> -DREAD_MMAP -DOS
> S -DTERM_CONTROL                -Wall -O2 -m486
>
> -fomit-frame-poi
> nter -funroll-all-loops
> -finline-functions -ffast-math
> -c -o m
> pg123.o mpg123.c
> make[2]: gcc: Command not found
> make[2]: *** [mpg123.o] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/primesource/mpg123-0.59r'
> make[1]: *** [mpg123-make] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/primesource/mpg123-0.59r'
> make: *** [linux] Error 2

Let me be the 1st to welcome you to this motley crue.

2nd, you may want to find yourself installing the rpm,
since it is a rpm base distro.

Your wanting to play MP3s, correct?  Since there is
not support for that type of audio file for RH due to
certain laws.

Hit this url to get the rpm for mpg123

http://havardk.xmms.org/dist/xmms-1.2.7-rh8-rh9-rpm/xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm
]

or here is the webpage

http://havardk.xmms.org/dist/xmms-1.2.7-rh8-rh9-rpm/

-Chris

=====
"I've dug graves for a living, I've done customer sevice/telemarketing for a living.  Guess which one is more rewarding careerwise?"

-CM Miller