[olug] Volume Control

Brandon Lederer brandon at tolkien-movies.com
Tue Sep 2 17:59:33 UTC 2003

One of my largest complaints about linux, still, is the volume control.  The
volume control is a Linear volume control.  People do not hear Linearly, we
hear logrithmically.  For instance, 88 DB is twice as loud as 83 DB...  it
grows really fast, getting loud quickly.  Therfore the Linear gain makes
nothing make any sound for the first 3/4s of the volume control.  The last
1/4 is so touchy you cant get the volume you want.  What is needed is a
Reverse logrithmic volume control.  To  give the first 1/4 of the volume
control very coarse linear granularity and the last 3/4 of the volume control
fine granularity.  This is obviously how it is done most other places,
because you appear to be turning up the volume linearly, but you are actually
turning up the volume reverse logrithm (or something close).

Does anyone know of a  way to make the volume control better?  This is highly
annoying.