[olug] Re: How to MIME encode

omaha.pm.knitter at recursor.net omaha.pm.knitter at recursor.net
Mon Oct 27 20:19:46 UTC 2003

At 01:55 PM 10/27/2003 -0600, Jay Hannah  - jay at jays.net wrote:
>Quoting Bob McCoy <bob at mccoy.net>:
>> Does anyone know how to MIME encode a binary file for emailing?  In the
>> past I've used uuencoding and that worked fine.  However, I'm now
>> mailing this file to another service that only seems to understand MIME
>> encoding.  Here is the original code snippet:

How you do it depends on the platform you're on, and how they retrieve it
depends on what they're on (I assume Windows on their side.) Elm handles
mime encoding pretty well and I hear Pine does too.

If the file's not too large, you could try just sending as plain ascii text
with a .txt extension, and let them change the extension back to whatever
after they've downloaded it.

You might try q-print http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/qprint/  or m-pack
if you're on a Mac.

If it was me, I'd upload the file to a web page and send them the URL to
download it.

If all else fails, zip it.

-Sidney