[olug] US Army 'going to Linux' after OS switch for GI PDA

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Tue Oct 28 19:02:17 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 10:33, Bill Brush wrote:

> The "Land Warrior" system is VERY cool technology.  My only concern
> (as a history buff) is that our military is getting to "Whiz-bang"
> and then what happens to a unit that gets cut-off and is out of
> supply.  All that very expensive training and equipment becomes
> useless.

Granted, I've been out of the Army since '97, but I don't think things
on the ground have changed all that much.  If a unit has lost C3 AND
its supply train, it's in a world of hurt no matter what technology
they were using.

However, they are still trained in the fundamentals of their job in
order to have something to fall back on.  For example, I was artillery.
Sure, there was some automation, especially in the battery fire
direction center, but we on the gun line were also able to lay in and
fire with little more than a compass.  FDC had their computers, but
they also simultaneously plotted fire missions by hand, with maps,
rulers and ballistics tables.

> It's still damn cool though.  Someday soon we'll start seeing
> power-assist exoskeletons (the army has already started R&D on
> synthetic muscle).

Could've used either of those on long fire missions.  Those rounds get
heavy (heavier?) after a while.

--
Homepage			http://scott.exti.net
XFce desktop environment 	http://www.xfce.org