[olug] new to Samba

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Oct 28 05:18:54 UTC 2003

I imagine your running the new samba 3.0, and though I don't have any
experience with that incarnation of it, some things I remember from
samba...

- "smbclient -l <ipaddress | netbiosname>"  will enumerate the shares on
the system though you may need to be a valid user, so pass valid
credentials with the smbclient command or have your username the same on
both systems- "smbmount (or 'mount -t smbfs') //netbios/share /mnt/point"
to mount the remote share locally so that you can access it- "smbpasswd"
to setup your smbpassword, could be different that regular unix login pswd
(recommended)

so its sounds like an 'access' level issue, so I would check the
credentials you are passing over as your username/passwd to the other
system.  I'm not sure what you mean by the "smb prompt", so I imagine you
are in gnu/linux trying to access the windows share.  what's the version
of windows are you running?  look for hints in relevant /var/log/ files
and capture network traffic with ethereal and 'follow tcp stream' to see
whats going on.  could you clarify a little more?

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:51:27 -0500
<thelarsons3 at cox.net> wrote:

|Hello...
|
|I'm new to using Samba but need to access a Windows share with smbclient.
| The share exists, my user is part of a group that has read access to the
| share, I can connect to it...but then I can't read anything.  At the smb
| prompt I get "ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess listing \*".  This is likely a
| problem on the Winderz side, and I never claimed to be a Windows expert.
|  None of the online references I've read so far have given me any
|  workable suggestions.  Any thoughts appreciated.
|
|Thanks,
|Tim

|--
|Tim & Alethea

|OLUG mailing list
|OLUG at olug.org

 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru