[olug] Re: Wireless Help

Daniel G. Linder dlinder at iprevolution.net
Wed Oct 22 19:27:10 UTC 2003

Joe wrote:
> Ahhh hahhhhh!!!!!   And after laying in bed last night it hit me that
> didn't have an iptables/ipchains rule setup for this stuff. And I knew
it
> was something obvious. I'll probably have to add something like:
> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.1.0/24 -j MASQ
> or maybe
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> along with many other rules around these. I won't have time to mess
with
> this until tomorrow night. So, I'll post my results at that time.

Well, this will probably work.  It will make all your wireless
workstations on the 10.0.1.X/24 network appear to be coming from
10.0.0.5 (the wireless router).  This works well as long as you don't
need to initiate connections from your wired network back to a wireless
machine (i.e. file sharing via Samba/FTP/etc).

Check the routing table on the other machines on the wired 10.0.0.X/24
network and make sure they have a route to the 10.0.1.X/24 network via
the 10.0.0.5 interface.

Dan