[olug] Re: Wireless Help

Joe Catanzaro joecatanzaro at cox.net
Tue Oct 21 02:58:56 UTC 2003

Thanks for the response. Actually what I'm doing is setting up a RH 7.3
desktop to act as the access point to talk to a laptop. At this point I can
ping it fine from the laptop and I can ping the wired interface on the same
RH 7.3 box, but I can't ping anything else in my network. I usually have
this problem when I'm building a firewall and there's usually one thing I
need to add like a default route or something is wrong with my gateway
settings. So, I'm researching on line and in some books to see what the
problem is. Any ideas?

Thanks,

At 10/20/2003 07:27 PM Monday, Jaymz Ringler wrote:
>Are you trying to connect the two laptops together via wireless cards?
>no access point?
>
>I run RedHat9 with an Dell TrueMobile (orinoco silver) card.  I have a
>linksys access point connected to my lan.
>
>my wireless setup is such:
>
>adhoc mode, specified my SID,  channel is set as such for the access
>point, and speed is set to auto, and my wep key is set....
>
>ip scheme is the same as my wired network.   Default gateway for the
>wireless settings is the inside of my firewall appliance.   and of
>course the same subnet.
>
>There really isn't anything else to do...  make sure the wireless
>connection is using the correct ethernet device (eht0 or eth1).
>
>if you have any problems after that, maybe check iptables/chains..

Joe Catanzaro
joecatanzaro at cox.net