[olug] Wireless Help

Joe Catanzaro joecatanzaro at cox.net
Mon Oct 20 20:31:30 UTC 2003

I'm setting up a wireless network, and so far things are going pretty good.
I've got a PCI D-Link DWL-520+ card in a RH 7.3 box and a PCMCIA D-Link DWL
650+ in a Windows laptop. The card in the Windows laptop appears to be
working fine. I've tested it in two laptops and it comes up, etc. The card
in the RH 7.3 box also comes up and attempts to "talk" to the laptop.
STDOUT on my console show packets going out, and also being received, but
nothing that will allow them to ping each other. I'm assuming there's
something wrong on the RH box, but I don't know enough about Linux wireless
to properly troubleshoot this. Also note, the RH box has another NIC that
works great on my internal network and communicates properly with the
laptop when I use a normal NIC in the laptop. And I'm guessing I'm going to
eventually have to add a route on the RH box to point the wireless NIC to
my firewall, but I'm assuming that won't affect my current problem. I'm
currently working through a few HowTos and I'm not very impressed with
them. Let me know if you have any suggestions for my problem or an
excellent reference for Linux wireless.

Thanks,

Joe Catanzaro
joecatanzaro at cox.net