[olug] Anybody tried "chandler" yet?

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Thu Oct 16 23:00:19 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Thacker" <dthacker9 at cox.net>
To: <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 10:09 PM
Subject: [olug] Anybody tried "chandler" yet?

> The annual budget has produced a surprising amount of bitching about our
email
> set up this year.  We run POP3  on linux for 90% of our users.   It seems
> they all want calendars, need calendars, can't live without... calendars.
> I've been keeping my eye out for the mythical "Exchange Killer" app, and
have
> come to the conclusion that it doesn't exist.  Ximian looked hopeful, but
who
> knows what Novell will do with it.   Nobody seems interested in web-based
> solution.
Boy, Do I hear you on that.  I loathe outlook/exchange.

> Today I found out about "chandler" from the Open Source Application
Foundation
> (OSAF) http://www.osafoundation.org/  Even though it will probably hit the
> desktop too late for my purposes, it does look intriguing.  Anybody given
it
> a shot yet?
Unfortunately, Chandler is not ready for prime time, not even close.
They've been working on architectural underpinnings so far.  In fact, you'll
find pleadings on the developer 'blogs to not download 0.2.  However, I did
and I downloaded 0.1 as well.  I am charged about the idea.  There are lots
of good things about their plans.  Fingers crossed and good wishes from me
to them on the project.

-Jeff