[olug] MAKEDEV help please

Terry Bradshaw angrypuppy at tconl.com
Wed Oct 1 18:42:55 UTC 2003

Hi-

I'm working on getting SCSI emulation going on my Gentoo installation.
I compiled my kernel using genkernel with SCSI emulation.  I have added
the hdc=ide-scsi bit to the kernel line in grub.conf.  I was about to
change /etc/fstab to point to /dev/scd0, but decide to check out /dev,
and there are no scd entries.  Further research told me that I could add
them via the MAKEDEV command.  In the man page for MAKEDEV, it says to
do the following:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV (options) (device)

The problem I run in to is that MAKEDEV is in /sbin, not /dev, so I get
a not found error.  Am I missing a sym link?

I will research further when I get home tonight, but it's giving me a
headache right now.

Thanks,
Terry