[olug] single board computers

Jim jameso at elwood.net
Sun Nov 30 20:56:18 UTC 2003

Nice to hear someone local has had good luck with the Soekris. I am
planning on ordering a NET4801 next week for use as a firewall
platform. I have looked at flashdist and OpenSoekris and am looking
forward to trying to working through the differences with them.

I have been having better luck with pf vs the PIX with some NAT
situations I have been in. Plus, when you break out the cost of a PIX
vs a Soekris with OpenBSD, it really becomes rather cost effective.

The only thing I don't like about OBSD based firewalls is the moving
parts, the Soekris seems to take care of that.

Other item I have been keeping my eye on is mini-itx board
(http://www.mini-itx.com/). I have seen some models with onboard CF
slots, that look sort of interesting.

Jim