[olug] New NFS Problem, userids

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sat Nov 29 20:28:33 UTC 2003

I don't know much about nfs, but have the same suggestion with the
userid's, the client user mounting the drive should be the same userid on
the server side that has owner+write(mount) permissions on that directory.
 Since I have different usernames on my client and server, I set the nfs
export anon uid and gid's to 1000 (my userid on the server).  I'm
exporting this share to all *.bkw hosts, as defined in my /etc/hosts file
(and perhaps any poisoned upstream DNS).

--- on my nfs server (zion) ---
/etc/exports (all one line)
/mnt/hde2/20gig *.bkw(secure,rw,sync,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000)

bw at zion:~$ grep 1000 /etc/passwd
bw:x:1000:1000:Brian Wiese,,,:/home/bw:/bin/bash

bw at zion:~$ grep bkw /etc/hosts
192.168.1.102   franklin franklin.bkw
192.168.1.100   liberty liberty.bkw
192.168.1.105   freedom freedom.bkw

--- on my nfs client (franklin) ---
/etc/fstab ... (all one line though):
zion:/mnt/hde2/20gig /mnt/zion/20 nfs
user,rw,noauto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,posix  0 0

Set up nfs mount with 'user' option so my normal user 'bwiese' can mount
the drive. (owner of /mnt/zion/20 directory).  I haven't setup much
'security' on my local net nfs yet, but will shortly.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:14:48 -0600 (CST)
"Jay Swackhamer" <Jay at RebootTheUser.com> wrote:

|Are the userid's the same on both machines?
|
|If you need to write/create as root, you need to add
|no_root_squash
|
|i.e.
|/home/jnorton jeffdesktop.some.domain(rw,no_root_squash)
|
|> My /etc/exports is as follows
|>
|> home/jnorton jeffdesktop.some.domain(rw)
|>
|> I can mount on my client with
|>
|> mount nfs1:/home/jnorton /home/nfs/
|>
|> I can create a dir on the NFS box
|>
|> mkdir cnn
|>
|> but when I try to create a dir from my client box i get
|>
|> mkdir time
|> mkdir: cannot create directory `time': Permission denied

|--
|Jay Swackhamer
|Reboot The User
|15791 West Dodge Road
|Suite 135
|Omaha, NE 68118
|(402) 933-6449
|(402) 933-6456 Fax
|http://www.RebootTheUser.com
|OLUG mailing list
|OLUG at olug.org

 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru