[olug] directory impossible to delete

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Wed Nov 26 15:30:57 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 09:21, Trent Melcher wrote:
> Those number were probably the UID and GID of a user that did exist and was
> removed,  root should be able to remove these directories without the owner
> existing.  However what you can do is create a user, then modify the passwd
> and group file so the UID and GID of this user matches the UID and GID you
> gave, try that and see if then the user can delete the directory.

Thanks for the suggestion, Trent. I actually tried that approach and I'm
still not having any luck. I've created a user and group 'junk' with
those numbers for UID and GID.
The directory is now owned by user and group 'junk', permissions are
still 774 but anytime I login as 'junk' or try a 'sudo -u junk rm -rf
<stubborn_directory>' as root I get the same error message:
rm: cannot remove directory `stubborn_directory/': Operation not
permitted

chown, chmod, mv, etc all produce the same error message.