[olug] Debian: List installed packages

Jeff Hinrichs jeffh at delasco.com
Sun Nov 23 17:44:56 UTC 2003

Phil Brutsche said:
> Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
>> Maybe I am spoiled but starting with the 7.x
>> versions of RH it handled the necessary lilo config and when you
>> manually edited lilo.conf it was not necessary to run lilo afterwards.
>>  RH somehow just knew it was changed and took care of updating the
>> boot info.
>
> RedHat 7.x+ doesn't use LILO; it uses grub.  When you install a kernel
> package it automatically edits /boot/grub/grub.conf, making the new
> kernel available during the boot process.
Actually you had your choice between LILO and grub.  I always used LILO
for consistency and because grub didn't offer anything to me, that I
couldn't get from LILO.  Installation of a new kernel would result in your
lilo.conf getting updated automatically.  Only when you removed old
kernels did you have to go into lilo.conf and remove the entry.  Even
then, it didn't require that you run LILO afterwards.

But back to the point about LILO and deb, does a kernel update mandate you
manually configure LILO under Debian?

-Jeff