[olug] Debian: List installed packages

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Sat Nov 22 07:19:00 UTC 2003

At Fri, 21 Nov 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Jeff Hinrichs, said:
> I am giving Deb a whirl and I can't figure out how to list the installed
> packages.  In RH I'd do a RPM -qa, what is the equivalent for apt?

There's a couple of ways[1] you can do it. . . The easiest is 'dpkg -l',
though 'dpkg --get-selections' can be helpful, too.  The former can be
used for searching (although 'apt-cache search' is generally better for
that), while the latter produces information that can be used in other
ways (such as cloning the package setup of a system).

You can also run 'dselect'[1], 'aptitude', or one of the other available
Package managers, and get a listing of packages. ;-)

Those can generally show you what packages are available.

> Jeff

 [1] dselect has a reputation for being terse, unfriendly, unintuitive,
     and generally unpleasant.  Strangely enough, I generally like the
     program.  I've had few problems with it myself, and while I have a
     few minor issues with it, I find it to be an extremely useful and
     powerful tool