[olug] FreeBSD 5.1 - How stable is "less stable"

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Fri Nov 21 16:03:52 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:03:00AM -0600, John Williams wrote:
> I have been using linux for some time now and was wanting to try FreeBSD.  I
> see a stable version and a less stable version.  I am curious how the
> stability of 5.1 would compare to RH 9.0.  Thanks.

I would not recommend using FreeBSD 5.1 at this time, especially if you are
new to FreeBSD. While it is currently in a code freeze, it is an unstable
development version of FreeBSD. FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT appears to be going
through a rather painful period right now and has some rather interesting
buglets that need worked out.

If you want to try FreeBSD, I would recommend you try FreeBSD 4.9. You can
order CDs from the FreeBSD Mall, or you can just download the CDs from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org