[olug] Virtual Instance of Linux

Eric Penne epenne at olug.org
Wed Nov 19 21:42:13 UTC 2003

They don't have to be separated, but it was just a thought.  I didn't know
if it would help with security without me having 2 PCs.  The advice I
always get is to separate all your processes.  For example I try to
separate external machines from internally accessible machines.  I also
try to separate DNS from web.  The only reason is that if 1 goes down then
I'm not out 2 services.

Is there any security in making the external services listen on 1 IP and
the internal services listen on another IP?

In this case it would be really hard to get my 2 45GB drives into my
little webserver MiniITX machine.  I'm looking at a dual drive firewire
enclosure and I may do this and merge the 2 machines.

Just curious mostly.

Eric Penne