[olug] Reunited with an old friend

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 01:33:17 UTC 2003

With all the wackiness at RedHat and S.U.S.E., I have
decided to eliminate RedHat and return to Debian.
(well, the work servers need RH AS for WebLogic . . .)
There are several reasons for this:

* Debian is much faster
* When I run Gnome apps from BlackBoxWM, I don't get
"Corba Server Not Found" (yes I had the GTK bloatware
installed when I got the error)
* I have more controlI and install just what I want
* I can install RPM's as well as Debian Packages
* Debian won't be bought, sold traded, killed off, etc
(I don't think RMS would let that happen!)
* Debian installs on a greater range of hardware

What RedHat is doing, moving OpenSource into the
Enterprise, is exactly what the corporate Linux
underground needs right now. But the collection of
486's and Pentium I's running in my garage is hardly
an enterprise, and I hardly have the budget to support
that move.  To be honest, if I have to switch from
RedHat to Fedora, I may as well switch to something
else.

If any brave soul is using, testing, or migrating
their RedHat to Fedora,  I am instested in how that
works out for you.

(Some stuff in the garage is running with Tiny Linux,
built on Slackware 4. I host the top level domain for
.not in the house only on a 486 running Tiny)

-=Sean Edwards=-
cybersean3000 at yahoo.com