[olug] Ghost and Linux servers

Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com
Mon Nov 10 07:49:32 UTC 2003

By that description, it sounds like g4u is just another dd.  BTW, you
could use dd to copy the raw disk image and even compress it for storage.
Nothing fancy there but it works the same.

Newer versions of Ghost handle ext2/3 perfectly.  I recently had to
upgrade over 100 servers from RH6.2 to 8.0 and used ghost (and a little
shell script on first boot) to do it all.  The disk image fit onto a
bootable cdrom along with the ghost utilities.
It went very smoothly.  I was especially impressed by the hardware raid
controller support.

The new version of ghost will also create a bootable cd with most common
drivers for your NIC, SCSI, IDE, RAID, CDROM, etc...

Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche.us>
Sent by: olug-bounces at olug.org
11/09/2003 05:21 PM
Please respond to
Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>

Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [olug] Ghost and Linux servers

K.J. Kirwan wrote:
> Would g4u (ghost 4 unix) help you?

g4u copies the raw disk or partitions.  It'll work fine as long as the
destination hard drive is the *same* size (and my same size I mean the
same sector count) or larger as the source - not all drives of the same
advertized capacity have the same sector count.  One 60GB drive can
actually end up being a couple GB smaller than another 60GB drive from
another manufacturer.

With Symantec's Ghost, a 40GB NTFS volume can be imaged onto a 2-3GB
file if that's all the data that's on the partition.  That limits what
file systems Ghost can image; it's generally limited to FAT, FAT32,
NTFS, and *maybe* (that's a really strong maybe) HPFS.  PowerQuest
DriveImage (aka PQDI, a similar program recently aquired by Symantec)
can handle ext2/3 file systems as well.

The big problem with Ghost is that it's a Win32/DOS program.  You've not
developed true dislike for MS-DOS until you've tried to make a bootable
Ghost CD capable of pulling images off a Samba server (the network
drivers and related utilities wouldn't fit in 640KB RAM with the CD-ROM
drivers and utilities and still leave enough room for Ghost or PQDI to
work).

If someone could teach g4u to understand at least the file systems with
open-source implementations, many of us would be in hog eaven, so to
speak.

And no, I'm not volunteering.

:)

--