[olug] Fedora Install Initial Notes

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Fri Nov 7 15:15:53 UTC 2003

Screenshots from my Fedora install are available at:

http://users.olug.org/~relayer/photos/fedora/

My overall impression is it looks and feels better than Red Hat 9.  The
new Gnome is nice.

Items that are missing:

- Cannot play MP3 files with XMMS, same issue existed with RH9 and RH8
  resolution: recompile XMMS from www.xmms.org -
    ftp://ftp.xmms.org/pub/xmms/1.2.x/rpm/xmms-1.2.8-1.src.rpm
  or wait for the plugin rpm from Freshrpms.net

- Pine
  resolution: recompile from source, or recompile the RH9 source RPM.

- Bluefish
  resolution: available now from the Freshrpms.net ftp server.

Items now included:

- YUM Yellodog Updater Modified
  a great update tool

- Bitstream Vera fonts

- Epiphany web browser

- GPDF Gnome pdf viewer

Updated:

- Kernel 2.4.22; includes the Nativ POSIX Thread Library for increased
performance and stability.

- Nautilus
  the newer version is much better than the one included with RH9
  (saves your viewing preferences)

Please see http://fedora.redhat.com and check out the package list for all
the included packages.

** Read the Release Notes before installation.

I have the ISOs available if anyone needs them.

Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at levania dot org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org