[olug] Red Hat tells customers, 'No more freebies!"

Tim - DZ iceburn at dangerzone.com
Wed Nov 5 14:44:31 UTC 2003

I wonder what "the market" will now lean to for a free solution?

Right now dell offers this list on a lower end rack server:

	  Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with 5 Client Licenses [add
$799]
	  Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with 25 Client Licenses
[add $3,295]
	  Windows Server 2003 Web Edition [add $349]
	  Windows 2000 Server with 5 Client Licenses [add $799]
	  Windows 2000 Advanced Server w/25 Client Licenses [add $3,295]
	  Linux 9 Professional, Factory Installed [add $169]
	  Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1, Non-factory installation [add
$799]
	  Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1, Non-factory installation w/3yr
support [add $2,499]
	  NetWare 6 with 5 Client Licenses [add $995]
	  NetWare 6 Upgrade, NFI [add $595]
	  No Factory Installed Operating System

Not long ago I remember buying servers that came with dell customized setup
cd's that would do things like partition and preload hardware drivers for
RedHat....

Recently touted Linux advocate IBM offers this list on it's low end 300
series

	Windows 2000 Advanced Server (1-8 CPU, 25 CAL), English OEM
Preload[+ $3,295.00 ]
	Windows 2000 Server for NF4000R - OEM[+ $799.00 ]
	Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition[+ $3,209.00 ]
	Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition[+ $799.00 ]
	Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 (Customer provided and installed)
	Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (Customer provided and installed)
	Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server (Customer provided and
installed)
	Microsoft Windows 2003, Standard Edition (Customer provided and
installed)
	Microsoft Windows 2003, Enterprise Edition (Customer provided and
installed)
	Microsoft Windows 2003, Web Edition (Customer provided and
installed)
	Red Hat Linux 7.2 (Customer provided and installed)
	Red Hat Linux 7.3 Professional (Customer provided and installed)
	Red Hat Linux 8.0 Professional (Customer provided and installed)
	Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 Advanced Server (Customer provided and
installed)
	SuSE Professional 8.0 (Customer provided and installed)
	SuSE Professional 8.1 (Customer provided and installed)
	SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7 (Customer provided and installed)
	SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 - (UL 1.0 Based) (Customer provided
and installed)
	Novell Netware 5.1 (Customer provided and installed)
	Novell Netware 6.0 (Customer provided and installed)
	SCO Open Server 5.0.6a (Customer provided and installed)
	SCO Open UNIX 8.0 (UnixWare 7.1.2) (Customer provided and installed)

I've never actually purchases from IBM...i'm not exactly sure what you get
if you pick anything that is "Customer provided and installed"  seems to me
that all those could be listed as "other OS" or something.  Maybe IBM is
just saying that the hardware will work with these OS's...

-t