[olug] Red Hat tells customers, 'No more freebies!"

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Tue Nov 4 01:18:49 UTC 2003

On Monday 03 November 2003 02:38 pm, Joe Catanzaro wrote:
> http://www.newsforge.com/software/03/11/03/1657205.shtml
>
> I'm a RH freak. This is gonna suck for me, 'cause I'm poor too.
>

> Joe Catanzaro
> joecatanzaro at cox.net

Not a problem.  It's good to see a company be realistic about making a profit.
They've invested heavily in creating the product, and they need to make it
pay.  Since our company is also interested in making a profit, and we have
the skillset to use other distro's, we won't be going with them, for now.
Having said that, there are plenty of people who want to run RH Enterprise and
pay for the privilege of having the phone answered at 3am.  RH's challenge is
to find a way to do that and not be as expensive as IBM or Solaris.

Feeling constantly overcharged for support....
DT

--
Dave Thacker