[olug] Red Hat tells customers, 'No more freebies!"

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Mon Nov 3 20:40:14 UTC 2003

This isn't as dire as the article makes it look.  There are really 2
things going on here.

Rh 7.X and 8.0 are going to be desupported soon.  They are getting long
in the tooth, so this makes sense.

RH 9.0 is going be desupported soon, with no successor.  This is a
little more annoying, since it's relatively young.  But there is an
upgrade path!  If you want free RH linux you can go to
fedora.redhat.com.  Or just grab another one of the free linuxes
floating around the net.  Or pay a reasonable fee to get a workstation
version of Enterprise Linux.

I see this as a minor nuisance, nothing more.

Nick Walter