[olug] OpenOffice to PDF?

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Sat May 24 18:29:18 UTC 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003, OBrien, Timothy Irish wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I have some OpenOffice documents saved in Word format so I can access them
> at work I need to. ;)
>
> Now I need to share one of these documents out; and would not like the
> docs changed in any way. The best & easy option I would think is to
> convert them to a PDF. But how do you do that with *nux?

Been there for years... ;-}

man ps2pdf

root at mgmlap:~ # man ps2pdf
PS2PDF(1)                  Ghostscript                  PS2PDF(1)

NAME
       ps2pdf - Convert PostScript to PDF using ghostscript
       ps2pdf12 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.2 (Acrobat 3-and-later
		compatible) using ghostscript
       ps2pdf13 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4-and-later
		compatible) using ghostscript

If you have GS installed (RatHead,Sloosee,etal all do tmk) then you have
this utility.

Additionally you can set up a printer such as:

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile="mypdf.pdf" myfile.ps

Where you "print" your ps output to the pdf... That is IIRC how Applix
etal used to do that.

Basically print your DOC file to your generic PS output specifying save to
file, then ps2pdf or gs to convert to PS.

> IIRC, there a command line I can run to change the .doc to a .pdf?
>
> --
> Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
> Publicity & Social activities chairperson
> Omaha Linux User's Group (OLUG)
> A: No.
> Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha  NE  68104